AxoGuard® Nerve Connector is a coaptation aid that allows for the close approximation of severed nerves. AxoGuard® Nerve Connector is a tubular, multilaminar extracellular matrix with an open lumen where the severed nerve ends are placed. Typically, the AxoGuard® Nerve Connector is used to align and connect nerves with less than a 5 mm gap between the severed nerve ends. The AxoGuard® Nerve Connector material allows the body's natural healing process to repair the nerve by isolating and protecting it during the healing process. The patient's own cells incorporate into the extracellular matrix to remodel and form a tissue similar to the nerve epineurium. AxoGuard® Nerve Connector is provided sterile, for single use only, and in a variety of sizes to meet the surgeon's needs.
AxoGuard® Nerve Connector can be used to:
- Bridge gaps up to 5mm;
- Aid coaptation in direct repair, grafting, or cable grafting repairs; and
- Reinforce the coaptation site
AxoGuard® Nerve Connector has the following advantages:
- Unique 10 mm length;1
- Alleviates tension at the repair site;2
- Reduces the number of required sutures (versus direct repair);3
- Reduces potential for fascicular mismatch;4,5,6
- Reduces the risk of neuroma by containing regenerating axons;7,8,9,10
- Semi-translucence allows visualization of underlying nerve;
- Strong and flexible, plus easy to suture; and
- Stored at room temperature with an 18 month shelf life
1. Weber, et al. 2000, Plast Reconstr Surg 106(5):1036-1048.
2. Schmidhammer, et al. 2004, J Trauma 56(3):571-584.
3. Millesi, et al. 1972, J Bone Joint Surg Am 54(4): 727-750.
4. Evans, et al. 1991, Brain Res 559(2):315-321.
5. Hasegawa, et al. 1996, J Hand Surg [Am] 21(2):259-265.
6. Zhang, et al. 2009, Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 37 (2):101-104.
7. Danielsson, et al. 1996, Exp Neurol 139(2):238-243.
8. Malizos, et al. 1997, Am J Orthop 26(7):481-485.
9. Tyner, et al. 2007, Am J Surg 193(1):e1-6.
10. Data on file at AxoGen, Inc.