Axoguard Nerve Protector
Axoguard Nerve Protector is the only porcine submucosa extracellular (ECM) matrix surgical implant used to protect injured nerves and to reinforce nerve reconstruction while preventing soft tissue attachments. Designed to protect and isolate, the Axoguard multi-laminar ECM separates and protects the nerve from the surrounding tissues during the healing process. The patient’s own cells incorporate into the minimally processed extracellular matrix to remodel and form a tissue separating layer. Axoguard Nerve Protector is provided sterile and in a variety of sizes to meet the surgeon’s and anatomical needs.
- To Order
contact Axogen customer care:
Axoguard Nerve Protector can be used to:
- Protect injured nerves up to 40 mm
- Minimize risk of entrapment in compressed nerves
- Protect partially severed nerves
- Reinforce a coaptation site
Axoguard Nerve Protector has the following key advantages:
- Minimizes the potential for soft tissue attachments and nerve entrapment by physically isolating the nerve during the healing process1,2
- Preserves the native architecture of the extracellular matrix
- Allows nerve gliding1,2
- Strong and flexible, plus easy to suture
- Stored at room temperature with 18- to 24-month shelf life
indications for use
The Axoguard Nerve Protector is indicated for the repair of peripheral nerve injuries where there is no gap. The device is supplied sterile and is intended for one-time use.
This device is derived from porcine source and should not be used for patients with known sensitivity to porcine material.
- Papatheodorou, et al. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(5):987-992. doi:10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.02.031.
- Data on file at Axogen, Inc.
Shareda suffered an ulnar nerve transection while three months pregnant. Her ulnar nerve was repaired using Avance® Nerve Graft and Axoguard Nerve Protector. She is back to work as a typist and a busy mother of two.See story