Axoguard Nerve Connector
Axoguard Nerve Connector is the only porcine submucosa extracellular matrix (ECM) coaptation aid for tensionless repair of transected or severed peripheral nerves. While allowing for the close approximation of severed nerves, Axoguard Nerve Connector aligns and connects severed nerve ends with less than a 5 mm gap. The Axoguard ECM material allows the body’s natural healing process to repair the nerve by isolating and protecting it during the healing process. The patient’s own cells incorporate into the extracellular matrix to remodel and form a tissue similar to the nerve epineurium.
- To Order
contact Axogen customer care:
Axoguard Nerve Connector can be used to:
- Relieve tension at the coaptation site of severed nerves
- Aid coaptation in direct repair, grafting or cable grafting repairs
- Reinforce the coaptation site
Axoguard Nerve Connector has the following key advantages:
- Alleviates tension at the repair site1
- Preserves the native architecture of the extracellular matrix
- Reduces the number of required sutures (versus direct repair)2
- Reduces potential for fascicular mismatch3-5
- Strong and flexible, easy to suture
- Stored at room temperature with 18- to 24-month shelf life
indications for use
Axoguard Nerve Connector is indicated for the repair of peripheral nerve discontinuities where gap closure can be achieved by flexion of the extremity. The device is supplied sterile and is intended for one-time use.
This device is derived from porcine source and should not be used for patients with known sensitivity to porcine material.
1. Schmidhammer, et al. J Trauma. 2004;56(3):571-584.
2. Millesi, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1972;54(4):727-750.
3. Evans, et al. Brain Res. 1991;559(2):315-321.
4. Hasegawa, et al. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1996;21(2):259-265.
5. Zhang, et al. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol. 2009;37(2):101-104.
John suffered lacerations to his median and ulnar nerves when he fell and his hand smashed through a glass door. His median nerve was repaired using Avance Nerve Graft and his ulnar nerve was repaired using Axoguard Nerve Connector. John is back to work, working out and taking classes to complete his engineering degree.See story